Yaesu FT-2900R Overview

I bought one of these. The HT will be used as a mobile and portable, this will be my base station. I think it works great. It easily hit local repeaters on 5 watts, and I got great reports on the sound quality. I also didn't like the huge bulky power cable, but this thing does put out 75 watts if you are so inclined. The only real problem I had was the programming. First of all, it is possible to program way more stuff than anyone could possibly need. Second, it is easy to make a mistake with the tiny buttons when you are in a hurry, and it doesn't give you time to think about what you are doing before it cuts off. I went back the next day and got the programming software. Expensive, but now it has been successfully programmed with a ton of stuff I will never need.

I wish someone would make a simple radio where you could just look in the repeater directory (yes, I have a paper copy), use the VFO to set the frequency, key in the offset, and the repeater access code if necessary. You then try low power, and if you don't hit it, keep raising the power until you do.

I plan on doing a lot of traveling, and will need to be able to look up and tune the radio to local repeaters

No comments:

Post a Comment

.
Amateur Radio Users Support Group
AmateurRadio@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio

Yaesu FT-991(A) Users Group (groups.io)
https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991

www.FT991a.com
www.FTDX10.com
www.FT5DR.com
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.