Yaesu FT-2900R Reviews Summary

I got mine as a Christmas present with the $119 deals that were too good to pass. Plus it let me give my 20 yr old 2nd hand Yaesu mobile to my son who only had a handheld. This is an easy to use basic 2m only radio for base or mobile use. It's heavier than I thought but I used the same space on the drivers side under right leg sideways on the "transmission hump" and it fits fine. I just finished a 3000 mi RT snowbird MN/FL trip and made many contacts on the road and in the Orlando area.

Pros: I think it's easy to program and use, but I also have the Yaesu/Vertex 170 handheld (for some reason I've favored Yaesu VHF like my 15 yr old FT-1500 still in use, but Icom HF with exception of Icom ID31 for our DStar).

I detuned my hi power to 45-50 watts as others have suggested (http://docslide.us/documents/setting-power-ft-2900r.html , be careful and using a dummy load and watt meter) - no problems w/overheating and still plenty of power to get out mobile.

Excellent audio both xmt & rcv using stock mic and built in speaker.

Cons: Mic plug is flimsy. That said I got 14 yrs on my FT-1500 before it needed replacing.

I haven't figured out but dialing up repeaters in VFO mode while traveling, the tone squelch occasionally will go off when I change frequency (I like to dial up the frequency from the mic and then the TSQL frequency, it's just a 3rd item to have to mess with and don't want to even glance onto the radio screen).

I'm actually more of an HF operator but have had 2m rigs in the car ever since the early 70s only buying/trading every 10 years or so. I am an ARES member and do limited public service mobile, but just like having a decent radio in the car despite many quiet repeaters these days. Hopefully this radio will give me 15+ years like my FT-1500 has.

Buy. https://amzn.to/3eo1HSD


No comments:

Post a Comment

.
Amateur Radio Users Support Group
AmateurRadio@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio

Yaesu FT-991(A) Users Group (groups.io)
https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991

www.FT991a.com
www.FTDX10.com
www.FT5DR.com
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.